Fairbanks House Historical Site in Dedham, MA

Logo for the Fairbanks House Historical Site

  • 511 East Street
    Dedham, MA 02026
  • Phone:
    781-326-1170
  • Fax:
    781-326-2147
  • Contact Us

 

Graphic image that says "Shop Online in Our Store."

 

 

 

 

The Fairbanks House History

Seen here are two of the three sisters who owned the Fairbanks House from 1843 to 1879. The eldest sister, Prudence, died first, at age 89 in 1871. These are probably the two younger sisters, Sally (1790 - 1877) and Nancy (1794 - 1879). For this photograph the sisters posed outside the Fairbanks House with some of their prized family heirlooms, along with their cat.

A photo of the carved Pine and Oak Desk.

The Fairbanks Chest was carved circa 1652-1665 by woodworker John Houghton of Dedham. The chest remained in the Fairbanks House from the time it was made, up until the late 19th century. Sold by the house's last resident Rebecca Fairbanks, it returned home to the Fairbanks House in 2003. (See the article to the right.)

Browse the Pages of Our History!

Who Were the Builders of the Fairbanks House?

 

Thoughts on the Homecoming of Our Carved Pine and Oak Chest

 

BRAGGING RIGHTS: Test Adds New Wrinkle to Old Rivalry

 

Melancholy Catastrophe: The Jason Fairbanks/Elizabeth Fales murder case of 1801

 

       Part One        Part Two

Fairbank cousins at an early 1900s reunion. Cousins are dressed in pilgrim period costumes, with an early American flag and the Fairbanks crest on a banner hanging behind them.

A longstanding tradition at Fairbanks Family reunions has been for cousins to dress in Puritan costume in honor of their immigrant ancestors. Included in this 1910s reunion photo are first Fairbanks House Curator Henry Irving Fairbanks (standing fourth from left) and his wife, Ida (standing far left).

 

www.FairbanksHouse.org